Monday 16 December 2013

Lucka 17: Montessori i hemmet: Förskoleåldern. #stafettjulkalendern


When I first came to Sweden and started to read about the Swedish preschool I remember coming across this book in a preschool where I was visiting. I spent a few minutes flicking through it and the teacher there at the time said I could take it home to read.

I have never really belonged strongly to one school of thought when it comes to my views on preschool. Over the years I have read and taken the best parts of Reggio, Waldorf, Montessori etc that have suited the children I have been working with at the time. What has always stuck with me from this book though is the pictures inside (which always made me think of Enid Blyton stories) and the description inside for in which how a child can be shown and trained to master a variety of tasks.

Wether you believe in this method or not is not the matter, the thing I picked up the most from this book in my formative years in the preschool world was the importance of taking time to introduce and explain materials and activities to children. I started to look differently at a number of activities that to us as adults seem perfectly self explanatory but that to a child may need careful support and guidance. Sadly many times these days we don't have the time to do this, if you think about it though it is one of the most important things we can do. Taking the time today to invest in our children and their needs will save much more time in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment